Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Stewing Over Okra

So last week I mentioned my great okra find at the Union Square farmer's market.  I promised a recipe, and although I'm a bit late, you'll thank me when craving a warm night "in" this fall and winter.  I make the curry paste in a large batch and refrigerate for later but it's very easy to make. For a bigger batch, double the recipe.

Here's what you'll need: 2 tablespoons canola olive oil, three diced Thai chili peppers, 4 cloves minced garlic, 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder, 1 1/4 cups coconut milk, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons chopped ginger, 1 tablespoon turmeric, 2 tablespoons tomato paste, 1 medium diced potato.

1. Heat a skillet and once hot, saute the garlic in oil for about three minutes or until golden brown.  Add chilis, curry power, ginger, and turmeric and mix for 30 seconds to minute, or until fragrant.

2. Next, mix in the coconut milk, soy sauce, and tomato paste.  Stir, and bring to a boil.  Then add the diced potatoes and wait for your sauce to thicken.

3. Salt to taste and use immediately or store for later.


Now that the hard part is over, you'll want to dice up some of your favorite vegetables and meat.  I like mushrooms, okra, scallions, and cilantro.  For protein I generally cut up 4 raw chicken breasts into bite size chunks.  And I always make brown rice as a base for the curry stew, and steamed broccoli as a side.



When your curry sauce is hot, add the okra and mushrooms first. 


Let that simmer for about 15-20 minutes.  After the mixture is nice and hot add the cilantro and chicken, which takes no more than 7 minutes generally to cook through, but you can check by driving a fork through a large piece.  If it goes through easily, your stew is ready.  Pour into a blow and top the dish with chopped scallions.

I had this meal with a friend a few weeks back.  There is nothing like coming home from a long trip and vegging in front of the television with this fantastic stew.

Let me know how yours turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment